Joana Valente is a post-doctoral researcher at the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development. She obtained her PhD in Biochemistry in 2018 from the University of Beira Interior, with the thesis entitled: “Affinity purification and delivery of a p53-encoding plasmid DNA for gene mediated cancer therapy”. In 2009 she started to work at the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development after concluding her degree in Biomechanics. During this period, she worked with 3D printing and surface modification to increase the suitability of the scaffolds for cell adhesion. In 2011 she concluded her Master’s degree in Engineering Design and Product Development, at Polytechnic Institute of Leiria with the thesis entitled: “Surface modification of alginate scaffolds”. Also, in 2011 she pursues her career in the Health Sciences Research Centre in the bone regeneration field and, in 2013 she began to work with gene therapy and affinity chromatography. She also has a post Post-Graduated Course in Integrated Management Systems (Environment, Quality, Safety and Social Responsibility) from the Polytechnic Institute of Guarda.
She is author of several scientific papers and her main research interests include Tissue Engineering, Biofabrication, Additive Manufacturing, Biomaterials, Gene therapy and Chromatography.
- Valente J.F.A., Sousa A., Queiroz J.A., Sousa F. “DoE to improve supercoiled p53-pDNA purification by O-phospho-L-tyrosine affinity chromatography” Journal of Chromatography B (2018).
- Valente J.F.A., Sousa A., Gaspar V.M., Queiroz J.A., Sousa F. “The biological performance of purified supercoiled p53 plasmid DNA in different cancer cell lines” Process Biochemistry (2018).
- Valente J.F.A., J.A. Queiroz and Sousa F. "p53 as the focus of gene therapy: past, present and future." Current drug targets (2018).
- Ferreira S., Carvalho J., Valente J.F.A., Corvo M.C., Cabrita E.J., Sousa F., Cruz C. Affinity analysis and application of dipeptides derived from l-tyrosine in plasmid purification. Journal of Chromatography B, 1006, 47-58 (2015).
- Valente J.F.A., Sousa A., Queiroz J.A., Sousa F. "Selective purification of supercoiled p53-encoding pDNA with L-methionine-agarose matrix." Analytical biochemistry (2014).
- MATIS - Materials and Sustainable Industrial Technologies (CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-000014 - 3362), a research project of the integrated programmes for scientific research and technological development, funded by the European Union through the PT2020 and Centro2020.
- Doctoral project (SFRH/BD/96809/2013), Funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology.
- "PTDC/EBB-BIO/114320/2009 -Isolation and purification of plasmid DNA for cancer therapy”, Funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology.
- “PTDC/EME-TME/103375/2008 - Production of scaffolds improved with growth factors for bone tissue regeneration", Funded by the Foundation for Science and Technology.