Sara Biscaia has Graduate Degree in Biomechanics and a Master Degree in Engineering Design and Product Development, both completed in the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria. Since March 2009, she is research fellow at the Center for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development. She has been undergoing research work evolving new systems for 3D printing, drug delivery systems for skin drug administration and temporary implants for tissue engineering.
Currently, her main research interests are biomaterials, materials characterization, 3D printing and drug delivery systems. She is also co-responsible of the Biofabrication Lab at the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development.
- Pedro Morouço, Sara Biscaia, Tânia Viana, Margarida Franco, Cândida Malça, Artur Mateus, Carla Moura, Frederico C. Ferreira, Geoffrey R. Mitchell and Nuno Alves (2016). Fabrication of Poly (ε -caprolactone) Scaffolds Reinforced with Cellulose Nanofibers, with and without the Addition of Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles. BioMed Research International 2016(8) DOI10.1155/2016/1596157.
- Franco M., Biscaia S., Viana T., Alves N., Morouço P., “ Controlled in Vitro Release of Levodopa from Sodium Alginate Membranes”, International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology, Volume 6(4), pp. 116-122.
- Tojeira, A.O., Biscaia, S.S., Viana, T.Q., Sousa, I.S., Mitchell, G.R. – “Controlling morphology in 3D Printing”, Chapter: Controlling the Morphology of Polymers - Multiple Scales of Structure and Processing, Edited by G.R. Mitchell & A.O. Tojeira, Springer Science+Business Media, 2016 (ISBN: 978-972-8793-67-8 (print) e 978-972-8793-68-5 (online)).
- Biscaia S., Dabrowska E., Tojeira A., Horta J. , Carreira P., Morouço P., Mateus A., Alves N. – “Development of heterogeneous structures with Polycaprolactone-Alginate using a new 3D printing system - BioMEDbeta: design and processing”, Procedia Manufacturing, vol 12, pp. 113-119, 2017.
- Brites F., Malça C., Gaspar F., Franco M., Fonseca A. R., Biscaia S., Mateus A. – “Cork Plastic Composite Optimization for 3D Printing Applications”, Procedia Manufacturing, vol 12, pp. 156-165, 2017.
- 4Additive -Implementation of Advanced, Portuguese Additive Manufacturing Systems on Portuguese industry: systems, tools, software and training. Research Member. Role: Research Member