Pedro Morouço is an Associate Professor of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria and a Principal Investigator in the Biofabrication Group at the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development – Polytechnic Institute of Leiria. As a very enthusiastic and provoking early-career researcher, he has been invited to collaborate in several national and international projects (e.g. Principal Investigator of “2bio4cartilage – Integrated intervention program for prevention and treatment of cartilage lesions” and the Scientific Director of “print-on-organs: Engineering Bioinks and Processes for Direct Printing on Organs”) focusing his research activity, mostly, on products and processes engineering, aiming to bringing the gap between the lab and in vivo applications. Despite his young age, he has co-edited books, authored and co-authored more than 200 scientific works (articles and conference proceedings), is member of the scientific committees in various conferences, member of the advisory board on Biomedical Engineering for Cambridge Scholars Publishing and editorial board member in various journals. His skills for thought-provoking talks were demonstrated as Keynote speaker in various conferences and he is aware of the role of science for society awareness. Thus, he developed skills to be able to reach wider audiences (e.g. 2 awards in the National Science Communications Contests and representative of Portugal in an international event), and recently was the winner of The Publishing Method competition promoted by the American Journal Experts. Finally, two national patents and one registered trademark.
- Morouço, P. (2018). The usefulness of direct digital manufacturing for biomedical applications. In: Andrzej Górak & Andrzej Stankiewicz (Eds.), Intensification of Biobased Processes, pp. 478-487. UK: Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Morouço, P., Barbosa, T., Arellano, R., & Vilas-Boas, J.P. (2018). Intra-cyclic variation of force and swimming performance. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 13: 897-902, doi: 10.1123/ijspp.2017-0223.
- Morouço, P., Lattanzi, W., & Alves, N. (2017). Four-dimensional bioprinting as a new era for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 5, 61. More than 6000 views in less than 1 year.
- Woodfield, T., Lim, K., Morouço, P., Levato, R., Malda, J., & Melchels, F. (2017). Biofabrication in Tissue Engineering. Comprehensive Biomaterials II, 5, 236-266.
- Morouço, P.G., Biscaia, S., Viana, T., Malça, C., Mateus, A., Moura, C., Ferreira, F., Alves, N. (2016). Fabrication of poly(ε-caprolactone) scaffolds reinforced with cellulose nanofibers, with and without the addition of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles. BioMed Research International 2016, Article ID 1596157.
- 2BIO4CARTILAGE – INTEGRATED INTERVENTION PROGRAM FOR PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF CARTILAGE LESIONS (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-023423) co-financed by COMPETE2020 under the PT2020 programme, and supported by FEDER (http://2bio4cartilage.ipleiria.pt/). Role: Principal Investigator.
- BIOMATE – A NOVEL BIO-MANUFACTURING SYSTEM TO PRODUCE BIOACTIVE SCAFFOLDS FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING (PTDC/EMS-SIS/7032/2014), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020 and Norte2020. Role: Research Member.
- Insitu.BIOMAS – REINVENT BIOMANUFACTURING SYSTEMS BY USING AN USABILITY APPROACH FOR INSITU CLINIC TEMPORARY IMPLANTS FABRICATION (POCI-01-0247-FEDER-017771), Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização P2020. Role: Research Member.
- print-on-organs: Engineering Bioinks and Processes for Direct Printing on Organs. COMPETE2020, P2020, FEDER, ANI. Amount: 514.810€. Period: 2018-09-01 to 2021-08-31. Role: Sci Director.
- 3D to 4D printing: can bacterial cellulose make the bridge? Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology. Amount: 239.857€. Period: 2018-09-01 to 2021-08-31. Role: PIL Leader.