Paula Faria is a Lecturer of the Mathematics Department at the School for Technology and Management of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria and a Research Member of the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development (CDRSP) of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria. Master of Science in Pure Mathematics (Numerical Analysis and Computational Mathematics) and with a PhD in Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering by the University of Lisbon. She is the Head of the R&D Computational and Mathematical Methods Research Team at the CDRSP. Her research activity focuses mostly on numerical modulation techniques for medical applications, on direct digital manufacturing applied to metals, polymers and ceramics, and virtual and augmented reality. She has Co-edited 2 books, authored and co-authored more than 30 papers published in international journals and international conferences. She is the Member of the Editorial Board in several international peer-review journals and was received already two science awards from the international society of biomechanics and the national society of neurology. She is the chairman and co-chairman, and member of several editions of the scientific and organizing committee of different international events, workshops and congresses, such as, the International Workshop on Direct Digital Manufacturing, the Health and Social Care Information – HCIST, the International conference ICBEB – The International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology, the International Conference on Tissue Engineering (ICTE), the International Conference VRAP Conference – International Conference on advanced research in virtual and physical prototyping, the International Conference on Sustainable Intelligent Manufacturing, the International Conference on Direct Digital Manufacturing and Polymers (ICDDMAP), the International Conference on Advanced Research in Sustainable and Intelligent Manufacturing (RESIM) and the International Symposium on Integrated Computational Tools for Advanced Manufacturing (ICT4AM), being held within International Conference of Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics. She also coordinates several granted national and international research projects and participates in the scientific committee of the CDRSP Advanced Courses on Regenerative Medicine and Workshops on Direct Digital Manufacturing. Additionally, she is the supervisor of several master theses on Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering, as well as in the master of Healthcare Information Systems Management. She is also part of the direction board of OPEN – Business Specific Opportunities which is a non-profit private institution, created in November 2002 for the promotion of innovation and employment through several different actions held in Marinha Grande, Portugal. She is also the mentor of an entrepreneurship Programme called MATERIALIZA that is now on its 2nd edition that intends to transform business technological ideas into successful startups companies. Her research interests are mainly Numerical Analysis applied to Biomedical Engineering and Manufacturing/Bio-Manufacturing Engineering. Additionally, she focuses her studies on Applied and Computational Mathematics, Finite Element Method, Computer-Aided Design, Bioinspired Engineering and Biomimetic Design, and the application of Electrical and Electromagnetic Stimulation on different Tissue Engineering applications.
- Geoffrey Mitchell, Thomas Gkourmpis, Tristan Youngs, Sara Gomes and Paula Pascoal-Faria, (2018) “Numerical Thermal Analysis of a T Jump System used for Studying Polymer Behaviour”, Advanced Materials Research (accepted);
- Paula Pascoal-Faria, Carlos Dias, Mónica Oliveira and Nuno Alves, (2017) “A finite element method to study multimaterial wind towers”, American Institute of Physics; doi: 10.1063/1.4992666;
- Nelson Silva, Nuno Alves and Paula Pascoal-Faria, (2017) “Global optimization framework for solar building design”, American Institute of Physics; doi: 10.1063/1.4992670;
- “Tailoring Bioengineered Scaffolds for Regenerative Medicine”, Authors: Sandra Amado, Pedro Morouço, Paula Pascoal-Faria, Nuno Alves, InTechOpen, 2017 (ISBN: 978 953-51-5459-4);
- Paula Pascoal-Faria, et al., (2016) "An Integrated Experimental and Numerical Approach to Develop and Electronic Instrument to Study Apple Bruise Damage", WASET, International Journal of Biological, Biomolecular, Agricultural, Food and Biotechnological Engineering Vol:10, No:6;
- Stimuli2BioScaffold - Stimuli modelling for BioScaffolds: from numerical modelling to in vitro tests co-financed by COMPETE2020 under the PT2020 programme, and supported by FCT (02/SAICT/2017). Starting date: 1 August 2018. Duration: 3 years. Total Budget 240 k. Role: Principal Investigator. Ref. POCI-01-0145-FEDER-032554.
- 2BIO4CARTILAGE – INTEGRATED INTERVENTION PROGRAM FOR PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF CARTILAGE LESIONS (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-023423) co-financed by COMPETE2020 under the PT2020 programme, and supported by FEDER (http://2bio4cartilage.ipleiria.pt/). Role: Team member.
- PAMI - PORTUGUESE ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING INITIATIVE (ROTEIRO/0328/2013; Nº 022158), a Research Infrastruture of the National Roadmap of Research Infrastructures of Strategic Relevance for 2014-2020, co-funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020. Role: Research member.
- MATIS - MATERIALS AND SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES (CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-000014 - 3362), a research project of the integrated programmes for scientific research and technological development, funded by the European Union through the PT2020 and Centro2020. Role: Research member.
- SCIENTIFIC STRATEGIC PROJECT (UID/Multi/04044/2013, funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). Role: Research member.