Nuno Alves [Director]
Nuno Alves is the Director of the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development (Evaluated with Excellent) and Adjunt Professor on Computer Modelling and Simulation at the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (PIL). He was Course Coordinator of the Mechanical Engineering Programme at the School of Technology and Management of the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria and Coordinator of the Socrates/Erasmus Programme for Mechanical Engineering at IPL. He is/was supervisor/co-supervisor of thirty MSc/MEng Students.
Nuno Alves received a first degree, a MSc and a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, all from IST at Technical University of Lisbon.
He has co-edited four books, authored and co-authored more than 70 papers published in books, international journals, international conferences and 3 patents.
Nuno Alves is a reviewer of the Virtual and Physical Prototyping Journal (ISSN: 1745 2759), Bioinspiration and Biomimetics Journal (ISSN 1748-3182), International Journal of Vehicle Design (ISSN 0143-3369), Assembly Automation journal (ISSN: 0144-5154) and several International Conferences. He is also a reviewer of the South African Science Foundation.
He is involved in several research projects on the fields of the Rapid Prototyping, Bio-Manufacturing, Reverse Engineering and Plastic Injection Moulds.
Nuno Alves is Co-chair of the International Conference on Sustainable Intelligent Manufacturing (SIM) and Organizing Committee Member of the International Conference on Advanced Research in Virtual and Rapid Prototyping (VRAP).
His research interests are mainly Reverse Engineering/Design, Computer Aided Design/Engineering, Virtual and Physical Prototyping, Image-based Modelling Systems, Sensorial CAD, Multidimensional (nD) Modelling, Bio-Manufacturing.
- OPTIMIZATION OF THERMOPLASTIC PRE-PREGS OVERMOULDING, Pedro Carreira, Nuno Alves, Carina Ramos, Paulo Bártolo; Applied Mechanics and Materials (in press)
- OPTIMALMOULD: ENERGY CONSUMPTION IN INJECTION MOULDING OPTIMIZATION; Carina Ramos, Pedro Carreira, Paulo Bártolo, Igor Reis, Lina Durão, Nuno Alves; In: Green Design, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Edited by H. Bártolo et al., (in press)
- OPTIMALMOULD: COOLING SYSTEM INFLUENCE IN THE INJECTION MOULDING CYCLE TIME OPTIMIZATION; C.Ramos, P. Carreira, N. Alves, P.J. Bártolo; Advanced Materials Research, 683:544, 2013.
- BIO INSPIRED ALGORITHMS FOR INJECTION MOULDING OPTIMISATION; P. Carreira, N. Alves, C.Ramos, P.J. Bártolo; Advanced Materials Research, 683:771, 2013.
- DEVELOPMENT OF A NOVEL ERGONOMIC EVALUATION TOOL; A.C. Mateus, H.A. Almeida, N. Alves; Journal of Biomechanics, 45(S1):S510, 2012.
- HYDROZONE – BIOACTIVATED HIERARCHICAL HYDROGELS AS ZONAL IMPLANTS FOR ARTICULAR REGENERATION, funded by the European Commission (http://www.hydrozones.eu/)
- OPTIMALMOULD – PROJECTO ÓPTIMO DE MOLDES PARA INJECÇÃO (PTDC/EME-PME/108188/2008), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology.
- MICROSTLG - MULTIMATERIAL MICROSTEREO-TERMO-LITOGRAFIA (PTDC/EME-PME/098037/2008) ), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology.
- RAPIDPRE – PROTOTIPAGEM RÁPIDA COM EXTRUSÃO REACTIVA: UM NOVO CONCEITO PARA A FABRICAÇÃO RÁPIDA (PTDC/EME-TME/104178/2008) , funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology.
- TOOLING EDGE - HIGH PERFORMANCE SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING, funded by the Portuguese Agency for Innovation.