Nuno Alves [Director]
Nuno Alves is the Director of the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development (CDRSP), which is dedicated to the transformation of the manufacturing industry through the development and implementation of novel Additive Manufacturing (AM)/three/four-dimensional (3D/4D) printing technology. He is an Associate Professor on Computer Modelling and Simulation at the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (PIL).
Nuno Alves received a first degree, a MSc and a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, all from IST at Technical University of Lisbon.
Nuno Alves was Course Coordinator of the Mechanical Engineering Programme at the School of Technology and Management of the PIL and Coordinator of the Socrates/Erasmus Programme for Mechanical Engineering at the same Institute. He is/was supervisor/co-supervisor of 25 MSc and PhD theses (+ 4 PhD ongoing) and he designed and leded a Bachelor (Licenciatura) programme on Mechanical Engineering (2006-2009) according to the European Union rules (Bolonha process), and he designed two Master programmes, one in Product Design Engineering together with Prof. Paulo Barártolo (2007/08), and other in Engineering for Direct Digital Manufacturing, together with Prof. Geoffrey Mitchell. He has acted as an MSc and PhD Examiner on 24 occasions (6 PhD and 18 MSc) in Portugal, Spain and Italy.
Nuno Alves has co-edited 8 books, authored and co-authored more than 100 papers published in books, international journals, international conferences and 9 patents.
He received 5 awards: 2 best papers, 1 best teaching award in Mechanical engineering at PIL (from Academic Association), and a grant for PhD studies.
Nuno Alves is experienced at multidisciplinary research and external collaborations, comprising European Union and bilateral projects, international conferences (chairman, organising/scientific committees, and invited lectures), peer-reviewd journal papers. He has been act as a reviwer for National Agency for Innovation, South Africa National Research Foundation, Banco Espirito Santo Innovation programme. He is Co-chair of the International Conference on Advanced Research in Sustainable and Intelligent Manufacturing (RESIM), International Conference on Direct Digital Manufacturing and Polymers (ICDDMAP) and Symposium on Integrated Computational Tools for Advanced Manufacturing (ICT4AM). He is a reviewer for Materials & Design (ISSN 0264-1275), Journal of Materials Science (ISSN: 0022-2461), Bioinspiration and Biomimetics Journal (ISSN 1748-3182), JMIR Research Protocols (ISSN 1929-0748), International Journal of Vehicle Design (ISSN 0143-3369), Assembly Automation journal (ISSN 0144-5154), and several International Conferences.
Nuno Alves is involved in several research projects on the fields of the AM/3D-4D Printing, Bio-Manufacturing, Reverse Engineering and Plastic Injection Moulding. He is the Principal Investigator (PI) of the Scientific Infrastructure – Portuguese Additive Manufacturing Initiative (PAMI), funded by FCT and EU/PT2020 trhough Centro2020. He is also engaged as PI in 4 more research projects funded by FCT/PT2020 and 8 as Research Member.
His research interests are based on the development and exploitation of novel direct digital manufacturing systems, contributing for the new paradigm of the industry 4.0 (as recently named new industrial and societal revolution), mainely based on additive manufacturing/printing techniques, including computer-aided modelling and fabrication of complex multi-material 3D and 4D structures (with spatio-temporal varying properties) for both industrial and biomedical applications; Computer vision and photogrammetry; Biomimetics and bioinspiration (learn from nature); Tissue engineering; Mould design and polymer injection moulding; Rapid product development; and Circular economy.
- P. Morouço, W. Lattanzi and N. Alves (2017). Four-Dimensional Bioprinting As a New Era for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 5:61. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2017.0006
- F. Bartolomeu, M. Sampaio, O. Carvalho, E. Pinto, N. Alves, J.R. Gomes, F.S. Silva, G. Miranda (2017). Tribological behavior of Ti6Al4V cellular structures produced by Selective Laser Melting, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Vol. 69, pp.128-134 (doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.01.004).
- F. Bartolomeu, M. Buciumeanu, E. Pinto, N. Alves, F Silva, O. Carvalho, G. Miranda (2017). Wear behavior of Ti6Al4V biomedical alloys processed by selective laser melting, hot pressing and conventional casting, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China Vol. 27, Issue 4, pp. 829-838 (doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(17)60060-8).
- Mihaela Buciumeanu, S. Almeida, Flávio Bartolomeu, M.M. Costa, Nuno Alves, Filipe Silva, Georgina Miranda (2017). Ti6Al4V cellular structures impregnated with biomedical PEEK - New material design for improved tribological behaviour, Tribology International, Vol. 119, pp. 157-164, DOI10.1016/j.triboint.2017.10.038.
- Pedro Morouço, Sara Biscaia, Tânia Viana, Margarida Franco, Cândida Malça, Artur Mateus, Carla Moura, Frederico C. Ferreira, Geoffrey R. Mitchell and Nuno Alves (2016). Fabrication of Poly (ε -caprolactone) Scaffolds Reinforced with Cellulose Nanofibers, with and without the Addition of Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles. BioMed Research International 2016(8) DOI10.1155/2016/1596157
- PAMI - PORTUGUESE ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING INITIATIVE (ROTEIRO/0328/2013; Nº 022158), a Research Infrastruture of the National Roadmap of Research Infrastructures of Strategic Relevance for 2014-2020, co-funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020. Role: Principal Investigator. (http://www.hydrozones.eu/)
- MATIS - MATERIALS AND SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES (CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-000014 - 3362), a research project of the integrated programmes for scientific research and technological development, funded by the European Union through the PT2020 and Centro2020. Role: Principal Investigator at CDRSP-IPLeiria.
- BIOMATE - A NOVEL BIO-MANUFACTURING SYSTEM TO PRODUCE BIOACTIVE SCAFFOLDS FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING (PTDC/EMS-SIS/7032/2014), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020 and Norte2020. Role: Principal Investigator.
- SCIENTIFIC STRATEGIC PROJECT (UID/Multi/04044/2013, funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). Role: Principal Investigator.
- HYDROZONES – BIOACTIVATED HIERARCHICAL HYDROGELS AS ZONAL IMPLANTS FOR ARTICULAR REGENERATION (Project ID: 309962), funded by the European Commission under: FP7-NMP (http://www.hydrozones.eu/). Role: Research Member