Nelson Martins-Ferreira has a PhD in Pure Mathematics in the scientific area of Category Theory and develops his scientific research activity mainly in this area. In addition he uses the skills achieved at his Master in Combinatorial Geometry and his Degree in Applied Mathematics and Computation to develop new algorithms in geometry and topology, with application in additive manufacturing and 3D-printing. His main research areas of interest are: homological and categorical algebra; topological geometry; computer science; development of algorithms and structured data sets with application to 3D-printing; Matlab programming. He is responsible for the Geometry and Topology Laboratory at CDRSP, from the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria. He is the editor of the scientific newsletter Scripta-Ingenia. He has been involved in several projects and has experience in transferring the theoretical and fundamental knowledge from mathematics into the applied sciences and engineering in general. He also regularly collaborates with local companies in solving specific problems in the aim of innovation and development programs.
- N. Martins-Ferreira, A. Montoli and M. Sobral, "Baer sums of special Schreier extensions of monoids", Semigroup Forum 93 (2016) 403--415. (DOI 10.1007/s00233-016-9780-2)
- Z. Janelidze and N. Martins-Ferreira, "Involution-rigidness — a new exactness property, and its weak version", J. Algebra Appl. 16 (4) (2017) 14pp.
- N. Martins-Ferreira, "Crossed modules and Whitehead sequences", Journal of Homotopy and Related Structures 11 (4) (2016) 893--921. (DOI 10.1007/s40062-016-0159-6)
- N. Martins-Ferreira, "Normalized Bicategories Internal to Groups and more General Mal'tsev Categories", Appl. Categ. Struct. 25 (6) (2017) 1137--1158.
- N. Martins-Ferreira, A. Montoli and M. Sobral, "On some categorical-algebraic conditions in S-protomodular categories", Logical Methods in Computer Science 13 (3) (2017) 1--11 (DOI : 10.23638/LMCS-13(3:18)2017)
- PAMI - PORTUGUESE ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING INITIATIVE (ROTEIRO/0328/2013; Nº 022158), a Research Infrastruture of the National Roadmap of Research Infrastructures of Strategic Relevance for 2014-2020, co-funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020. Role: Investigator.
- MATIS - MATERIALS AND SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES (CENTRO-01-0145-FEDER-000014 - 3362), a research project of the integrated programmes for scientific research and technological development, funded by the European Union through the PT2020 and Centro2020. Role: Investigator at CDRSP-IPLeiria.
- BIOMATE - A NOVEL BIO-MANUFACTURING SYSTEM TO PRODUCE BIOACTIVE SCAFFOLDS FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING (PTDC/EMS-SIS/7032/2014), funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and European Union through the Centro2020 and Norte2020. Role: Investigator.
- SCIENTIFIC STRATEGIC PROJECT (UID/Multi/04044/2013, funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). Role: Investigator.
- HYDROZONES – BIOACTIVATED HIERARCHICAL HYDROGELS AS ZONAL IMPLANTS FOR ARTICULAR REGENERATION (Project ID: 309962), funded by the European Commission under: FP7-NMP (http://www.hydrozones.eu/). Role: Research Member