Geoffrey Mitchell [Vice-Director]
Geoffrey Mitchell is the Vice-Director of the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development at the Polytechnic Institute Leiria. Geoffrey Mitchell carried out his doctoral work at the University of Cambridge in the UK and subsequently held a post-doctoral fellowship at Cambridge and a JSPS Fellowship at Hokkaido University in Japan. Through to 2010 he was Professor of Polymer Physics at the University of Reading and since 2005 he has been the Director of the Centre for Advanced Microscopy at Reading. His research work bridges physics, chemistry and technology and he is a Fellow of both the Institute of Physics and the Royal Society of Chemistry. He has published over 260 papers across a broad range of topics in polymers, liquid crystals and other materials, together with 11 book chapters and 4 patents. To date he has supervised almost 50 PhD programmes and 26 MSc programmes. He has developed and made extensive use of x-ray and neutron scattering methods coupled to computational molecular modelling and electron microscopy techniques.
Geoffrey Mitchell is member of the editoral boards of High Performance Polymers, International Journal of Polymer Science and International Journal of Physical Science. He is the Portuguese National Representative for the EU Cost Action FA0904. He is a Visiting Member of the Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering Department of the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.
He is the Chair of the International Conference, Electrospinning: Principles, Possibilities and Practice, most recently held in London UK in March 2012.
- G.R.Mitchell, K-H Ahn and F.J.Davis The potential of electrospinning in rapid manufacturing processes Virtual and Physical Prototyping 2011 6 63-77 DOI 10.1080/17452759.2011.590387
- T.Gkourmpis and G.R. Mitchell Three Dimensional Picture of the Local Structure of 1,4 Polybutadiene from a Complete Atomistic Model and Neutron Scattering Data Macromolecules 2011, 44 3140–3148 dx.doi.org/10.1021/ma102840p
- S. D Mohan, F.J.Davis and G. R Mitchell Chain extension in electrospun fibres of polystyrene Soft Matter 2011 7, 4397 4404 DOI: 10.1039/C0SM01442G
- G.R.Mitchell and F.J.Davis Electrospinning for Tissue Engineering Geoffrey R Mitchell and Fred J Davis in Advances on Modelling in Tissue Engineering Edited by P. Fernandes and P.J. Bártolo Springer 2011 111-136 ISBN 978-94-007-1253-9
- G.R.Mitchell Neutron Diffraction of Polymers and Other Soft Matter in Essentials of Neutron Techniques for Soft Matter Eds T.Imae, T. Kanaya and M. Furusaka Wiley 2011 (ISBN-10: 0-470-40252-0)
- Bio-PU: Effective and Reliable Routes to the Fabrication of Devices for medical Applications through Reaction Manufacturing Processes PTDC/EME-TME/104713/2008. Principal Investigator Funded by FCT
- COST FA0904 Safe Nanostructured Polymers for Enhanced Food Packaging
- Understanding crystallisation of synthetic polymers using NIMROD