Geoffrey Mitchell [Vice-Director]
- geoffrey.mitchell @ipleiria.pt
Geoffrey Mitchell is a Vice-Director of the Centre for Rapid and Sustainable Product Development, a Coordinator Investigator at the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria and Emeritus Professor at the University of Reading UK. He is/was supervisor/co-supervisor of fifty PhD and forty MSc Students.
Geoffrey Mitchell received a first degree in Metallurgy from the City of London Polytechnic, an MSc in Physical Research Techniques and a PhD degree in Polymer Physics from the CNNA/University of Cambridge.
He has authored and edited fifteen books, authored and co-authored forty-two Book Chapters and over three hundred papers published in international journals, international conferences and six patents. His ´H´index is 37 see E. Hirsch Proc Nat Acad Sci 102 (46): 16569-16572 2005 and his Research Gate Score is 43.86. In 2016 with Paula Faria he launched the ´CDRSP Knowledge Series´ of books to provide dissemination of CDRSP activities to industrialists.
Geoffrey Mitchell is a member of the Editorial Board of “High Performance Polymers”( ISSN: 09540083); “International Journal of Polymer Science” ISSN: 1687-9422 (Print); “International Journal of Physical Science Science” ISSN: 1992-1950; “Current research in biopolymers”; I am editor-in-chief ‘Advances in Chemical and Biological Engineering’. He is also a reviewer and adjudicator for many high profile international journals including Nature, Macromolecules, Polymer, Polymer Testing, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering etc
Geoffrey is a regular reviewer of for international and national funding agencies, including Poland (National Science Centre), Portugal (FCT), EU, MERANET, Australia, Singapore, UK(EPSRC) and in 2017 served as Chair of the Materials Panel for EPSRC (UK).
He is involved in a broad range of research projects in materials, 3D/4D printing, in Additive Manufacturing, in neutron scattering and time-resolved x-ray scattering at Synchrotron Facilities as a PI (4) and Research Member (8). He is currently PI on a novel programme at the ALBA Synchrotron Light Source to study in real time the structural reorganisation in polymers during 3d and 4d printing.
Geoffrey Mitchell is Co-chair of the International Conference on Advanced Research in Sustainable and Intelligent Manufacturing (RESIM), International Conference on Direct Digital Manufacturing and Polymers (ICDDMAP) and International Conference Series on Electrospinning.
He is the PI on an international CDRSP programme with the University of Oxford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust which is designing and manufacturing the next generation of dynamic multimodal phantoms for medical imaging such as CT, MRI, PET and Ultrasound using direct digital manufacturing technologies.
His research interests are focused on materials, especially molecular materials, smart and functional materials, the use of neutron and x-raay scattering coupled to computational modelling, new technologies for additive manufacturing including 3D/4D printing, programmable moulds, biopolymers and sustainability, mitigating climate change , Biomedical Engineering, Manufacturing/Bio-Manufacturing, and Tissue Engineering.
- Finizia Auriemma; Claudio De Rosa; Rocco Di Girolamo, Anna Malafronte; Miriam Scoti ; Geoffrey R Mitchell; Simona Esposito “Deformation of Stereoirregular Isotactic Polypropylene across Length Scales. Influence of Temperature” Macromolecules 50 2856-2870 2017 IF= 5.835
- HG Premakshi, MY Kariduraganavar, GR Mitchell Development of composite anion-exchange membranes using poly (vinyl alcohol) and silica precursor for pervaporation separation of water–isopropanol mixtures 2016 RSC Advances 6 (14), 11802-11814 IF=3.84
- G.R.Mitchell and Ana Tojeira editors “Controlling Controlling the Morphology of Polymers: Multiple Scales of Structure and Processing." Springer 2016 ISBN 978-3-319-39320-9
- D. Duraccio, Amalia Mauriello, Sossio Cimmino , Clara Silvestre, Finizia Auriemma, Claudio De Rosa, Beniamino Pirozzi, Geoffrey Robert Mitchell . “Structure-property relationships in polyethylene based films obtained by blow molding as model system of industrial relevance” European Polymer Journal 2015 62 97-107 IF=3.531
- G.R.Mitchell editor “Electrospinning: principles, practice and possibilities” Royal Society of Chemistry 2015 ISBN 978-1-84973-556
- PI at CDRSP-IPLEIRIA Imaging a better future - Phantoms project since 2018
- PI at CDRSP-IPLEIRIA UC4EP – Understanding crystallisation for enhanced polymer properties (PTDC/CTM-POL/7133/2014))
- PI at CDRSP-IPLEIRIA - GREEN THERMOSETS - Nanocomposites of Rosin/Maghnite a bilaterial FCT project with Algeria (PT-DZ/0001/2015)
- PI at CDRSP-IPLEIRIA for MORPHING.TECH - Direct digital Manufacturing of automatic programmable and continuously adaptable patterned surfaces with a discrete and padronized composition 2018 – 2021 €1.229.695,59
- PI at CDRSP-IPLEIRIA for Multiscale Additive Manufacturing funding by the FCT Strategic Grant